The Meltonville Missionary Baptist Church was organized on October 19, 1870, under the leadership of Reverend Joe Ratliff. Like many Black Churches being organized after the civil war, Meltonville got its name from the Meltonville Methodist Academy.
The Meltonville Methodist Academy was a church school located a few yards northwest of the Mt. Olive Baptist Church. Many of Meltonville’s original members attended Mt. Olive Baptist Church before Meltonville was organized. The family of Mr. Wilson Chambers donated the land for Meltonville in 1875. In 1877 the first church was built and used as a place of worship. The second church was completed in 1925 and used as a place of worship until August 2005. In September 2005 that church was demolished and a new structure was on the way.
Our Groundbreaking Ceremony for the new edifice was on October 16, 2005, more than 60 peoples attended. Our church is located on the corner of Meltonville Church Road and White Store Road. Those participating in the groundbreaking are Brandon Chambers youngest member; Ms. Viola Crowder the oldest member, Dec. Fulton Crowder Building Committee Chairman, Ms. Linda Thomas First Citizens Bank, Rev. Bruce Landon, pastor of Mt Olive Baptist Church, Dr. Jim Sims Anson County Commissioner, Mr. Harvey Ezekiel, Architect, Rev. Richard Graham Vice- Moderator of Zion Association and Rev. Charles E. Sturdivant, pastor of Meltonville Missionary Baptist Church. While the third church was being built we had worship service in the White Store Community Clubhouse. The White Store Community Clubhouse is a part of the Mt Olive Baptist Church. On Saturday, March 17, 2007, at 5:00 pm the members of the church came out to dedicate the church back to the Lord. As we entered the church there was prayer, singing, scripture reading, and the pastor and church members read the Act of Dedication our name was changed to New Meltonville Missionary Baptist Church.
The first pastor of Meltonville was Reverend Anderson Chambers, followed by Reverend Tim Little, Reverend B.F. McManus, Reverend Joshua Diggs, Reverend H.B. Watson, Reverend E.H. Martin, and Reverend Lawrence Presley. Reverend Charles E. Sturdivant became the pastor of Meltonville in 1995 he still serves as our pastor along with Co-Pastor Mary J. Sturdivant. Many of the present members of New Meltonville Missionary Baptist Church are offspring of the original church and continue to magnify and carry out the mission of Jesus Christ.